Miejsca Przyjazne Rowerzystom
If you run an accommodation facility, a catering outlet, a bicycle shop or service, have a passenger transport company, a parking area or own an attraction frequented by tourists, you can join the Recommendation System of the Cyclist Friendly Places (MPR) in Małopolska.
If you are looking for information aimed at tourists about Cyclist Friendly Places, click here.
In this article, you’ll find information and answers to questions:
- What is the Recommendation System of the Cyclist Friendly Places (MPR)?
- Why is it worth having an MPR certificate?
- Who can become an MPR?
- What criteria must be met?
- When can you apply and what else is worth knowing about the MPR recommendation system?
- Resources and information for facilities already MPR-certified.
- List and map of places with MPR certification in the Małopolska region.
- Regulations oraz contact to the Organiser of the MPR Recommendation System in Małopolska.
Unification of the level of provided services, clear information about facilities and attractions available along the cycling route and easy search for entities belonging to the network – these are the basic assumptions of the Recommendation System of Cyclist Friendly Places. The Małopolska system operates on similar principles to other systems in Poland (Cyclist Friendly Places on Green Velo, Friendly Places on the Route Around the Tatras).
Their aim is to develop and promote cycling tourism, to inspire and support local business in creating a cycling friendly offer, to increase competitiveness and to create a platform for co-operation and exchange of experience between the entities participating in the System.
You will gain additional customers and a competitive advantage through promotion on the website dedicated to tourism in the Małopolska region, promotion in social media, your inclusion on cycling maps published by the Małopolska Voivodeship as well as in publications and other promotional materials about the VeloMałopolska routes. You will also be able to use the certificate in your marketing activities, e.g., by placing the MPR logo on your facility, website, social media or leaflet.
In addition, opening up and being oriented towards cyclists simply pays off. Across the entire Europe, it is this type of tourism that is a significant factor in regional and local development. According to estimates of the European Cyclists’ Federation, the ‘cycle industry’ sector in the EU represents 655,000 jobs, and annual revenues from cycle tourism amount to as much as € 44 billion. The daily expenditure of a cycling tourist in Germany or Austria is € 53–70.
Objects applying for recommendation of a Cyclist Friendly Place have to be located (have to operate) on the territory of the Małopolska Voivodeship at a distance of no more than 15 km from one of the VeloMałopolska cycling routes. The distance from the facility to the cycle route should be measured as bicycle access from the bicycle route to the facility via public roads, i.e., in terms of the most expeditious route taken by cyclists, not in a straight line.
There are five categories of sites specified in the MPR Recommendation System regulations:
- The facility must provide a minimum of 6 beds.
- Possibility of overnight accommodation for one night.
- Categorised or other (uncategorised) hotel facility.
- Year-round or seasonal.
- Preparation and sale of food and beverages for on-site consumption and takeaway.
- Admission is paid or free of charge.
- It has its own administrator, e.g., a monument (architectural, sacral, archaeological, ethnographic, historic cemetery), museum, art gallery, national park, landscape park, nature reserve, cave, underground tourist route, bathing site, thermal pool, aquapark, organised fishing site, platform, observation tower, boat trip, ride on a historic railway or draisine, and others.
- The facility must belong to a tourist information network and meet the requirements set by the Polish Tourist Organisation.
- Marked with a special “i” sign, in accordance with the guidelines of the Polish Tourist Information System.
Service facility (other)
- A facility providing services that may be useful to a cyclist during a journey, e.g., a bicycle service, a bicycle and touring equipment rental, a travel agency, a passenger carrier, a petrol station, a shopping mall, a grocery shop, a general store and others.
All facilities must provide for their clients:
Secure free bicycle parking
- There must be a place at the facility to securely attach the bicycle, either with racks or allowing the bicycle to be attached/stowed in some other way, e.g., in a locked room.
Provision of tools for basic bicycle repairs free of charge
- In addition to standard tools, Phillips and Allen-type spanners as well as Phillips and flat screwdrivers, a floor pump to inflate different types of wheels, a chain stripper, tyre removal/replacement spoons and a set of repair patches with glue are compulsory in the tool kit.
Up-to-date information on bicycle service/shops or sale of bicycle spare parts
- The information must be displayed in the facility in a prominent position and must include the exact address, telephone number and opening hours of the listed bike service/shop.
Information about the website narowery.visitmalopolska.pl
- The information must be placed in the site in a visible place and contain a message that the site is dedicated to cyclists visiting the Małopolska region.
Accommodation facilities must additionally provide:
Possibility of a one-night stay
- The accommodation establishment with a minimum of 6 beds declares its willingness to receive tourists for one hotel night.
Safe and free storage of bicycles and luggage during the cyclists’ stay
- The accommodation shall have a lockable, weather-protected and easily accessible room in which the tourist may leave their bicycle, if necessary with luggage, for the duration of their stay at the accommodation. The size of the room must allow 6 bicycles to be stored at the same time.
Call to the Recommendation System of the Cyclists’ Friendly Places is announced at least once a year.
The current one lasts from 13 April to 22 June 2022.
Application form for sites applying for MPR certification in the category: Catering facility, tourist information, tourist attraction, other service facility.
Application form for accommodation establishments applying for MPR certification.
If there is no call at the moment, please send information about your wish to join the System to the e-mail address: email@example.com. When the next call is announced, we will inform you by email.
Any legally operating facility that accepts the Terms & Conditions and meets the requirements listed therein may apply to participate in the system.
Participation in the recommendation system is free of charge and voluntary. The entity can withdraw from the system at any time without any financial consequences.
Your application to the System will be reviewed for compliance with the application and fulfilment of the conditions before the certificate is awarded. A similar review will be carried out at least once a year.
List of MPR-certified sites in the Małopolska region - Excel
The sheet can be sorted by: object category, district, name and address.
Map of places with MPR certification in the Małopolska voivodeship.
Terms & Conditions of cooperation within the Recommendation System of Cyclists’ Friendly Places - PDF
We create the system together (organisers participants, cyclists), so if you have ideas on how to improve it and what we can change or ameliorate, please write to us.
Contact to the Organiser of the MPR Recommendation System in Małopolska:
Contact e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tel. 123 796 025