Route 21: Małopolska region's apples and... mushrooming

Dobczyce, Raciechowice (8 km) Szczyrzyc (18 km) Jodłownik (22 km) Gruszów (34 km) Stadniki (43 km) Skrzynka (46 km) Dobczyce (50 km) 

50 km, 5,5 h, difficulty – hard

Altitude profile of the route:

21

Depending on the season of the year, this trip will be symbolised by flowering orchards around Raciechowice or by apples. Not to forget the Stone Mushroom that can be found along the way. It is quite a long and difficult, but very attractive route. We start in front of the church in Dobczyce. Before leaving the city, it is worth visiting the castle and the open-air museum. We are going south-east following the yellow tourist trail and turn right into the steep climb along Górska Street. Then we continue along the scenic ridge. After 3 km we follow the trail and turn left into a steeply sloping road. After less than 500 m, at the bifurcation, we turn right and descend to the Krzyworzeka Valley. Here we turn left onto road No 964, and after a while turn right, heading at Raciechowice – famous for its beautiful apple orchards. We pass a historic church and a manor.
At the junction in Dąbie we go right to Szczyrzyc (or left, if we opt for a shorter version), where after passing the monastery buildings, we turn left at the intersection. The red bike trail leads us to Jodłownik, where we turn left by the church. Further, up to Słupia, we will go along the black bike trail. At the peak in the village, we go by the main road to the left, then to the right and descend to Żerosławice. After a short climb, we descend to the village of Kawec. Here we go to the right, and after several dozen meters to the left (by the shop). After the bridge over Stradomka, we turn left onto Gruszów. In the village we can visit the historic church from the 16th century. We turn left after the church and at the end of the road turn left again, to reach after 700 m a stone shaped like a big mushroom. We turn back and keep to the main road, going to Stadniki, where we turn left, into a road curved at an angle of almost 180 degrees. A few hundred meters further we turn right and head at Skrzynka. We pass the village by a slight climb and then descend to road No 964 (passing the Millennium Cross on the curve). We turn right, then, a few hundred meters further, we leave the city bypass going straight along Kilińskiego Street to the centre of Dobczyce, where we finish the trip.

ATTRACTIONS ON THE ROUTE:

1. Church in Dobczyce – built after II World War in the neo-Gothic style. There is a historic stone baptismal font from the 13th century, and, in the main altar, a 15th-century Pieta from the workshop of Wit Stwosz.
2. Castle and open-air museum in Dobczyce – from the turn of the 13th and 14th century, expanded in the 16th / 17th century. At the end of the 18th century it fell into ruin. Thanks to the efforts of the local branch of PTTK (Polish Tourist and Sightseeing Society), the castle was reconstructed and currently houses the Regional Museum. A part of it is the open-air museum, which collects examples of wooden architecture monuments from the area: inn (1830), forge (1863), two-story henhouse (1890), coach house (19th century), burial house (19th century) and smaller objects, including a roadside cross from 1604. Information: www.zamek.dobczyce.pl.
3. Raciechowice horticulture – having a long tradition, intensively developed since the 1950s. Beautiful fruit orchards, mainly apple trees, make the landscape particularly attractive.
4. Wooden church in Raciechowice – built in 1720 (the presbytery is considered older). Noteworthy are the rococo interior furnishings, as well as epitaphs and an altar plate from the first church outside.
5. Wooden manor in Raciechowice – one of the most impressive buildings of this type in the Małopolska region, built in 1780. Above the entrance, the Nowina and Leliwa coats of arms.
6. Cistercians monastery in Szczyrzyc – founded in 1234. In the side chapel the Miraculous Picture of Our Lady of Szczyrzyc called the Kind-hearted. The former granary houses a monastery museum.
7. Wooden church in Jodłownik – from the second half of the 16th century, single-nave, log construction. Its equipment dates mainly from the 17th and 18th century, while the polychromy from the second half of the 18th century.
8. Wooden church in Gruszów – built in the first half of the 16th century, boarded building with log construction and shingle roof. Interior equipment mainly from the 16th–18th century.
9. Mushroom Stone in Zegartowice – a natural monument, one of the most effective rocks of the Carpathian Foothills area, which was formed by the process of wind erosion.
 

Route map:

mapa

Map legend

Download the route as GPX