Route 17: Around the ‘leisure zone’
Myślenice, Kudłacze (10 km) Pcim (17 km) Trzebunia (32 km) Myślenice (44,5 km)
44.5 km, 5.5 h, difficulty: easy
Altitude profile of the route:
This is a difficult mountain trip, with an elevation of 1350 meters, so good mountain bike will be a must. We start the expedition in Myślenice–Zarabie (1). At the main intersection next to the car park near the stadium, we head towards ul. Zacisze, following the red bike trail. On the right, we pass the Zamczysko nad Rabą Reserve with the ruins of the tower (2) (3), and we begin the ascend to the Lubomir and Łysina ranges. At the crossroad we go left, at the next – right, still steeply uphill. On the ridge we meet a red hiking trail, which will lead us up to the hostel at Kudłacze. We take the black trail down to the hamlet of Małe Ulmany. Here, before the sharp turn, we turn slightly right into a forest road. We descend to the centre of Pcim (there is a shortcut on the right leading along the Raba River). Having passed the church (4), we start the ascend through the Kaczanka valley. At the junction, we turn right (signpost for Figuły). The asphalt ends after the curve and the further path leads to the border of the forest and the yellow trail. We turn left and follow the trail on the mountain path along the ridge of the Kotoń massif. This is quite a difficult part of the route, but rewarded with numerous viewpoints offering beautiful panoramas. From Groń (773 m above sea level), we take a gentle descent to the Dział pass (a large chapel), then we cycle a steep gravel road to Trzebunia. Passing by the church (5), we continue down the village to the school building (at the bus stop), where we turn left and then right after the bridge. We go along the asphalt road and then the road from concrete slabs to the Rola Ostafinowa settlement (from the valley with the streams bifurcation left up the hill). We turn left between the houses and, after approx. 100 m, having passed the last buildings, we turn right into a road leading steeply uphill along the forest border. We go on foot (very steeply) up to the flat area and then cycle straight ahead until the intersection with the red trail. We turn right and go along the trail to Myślenice, passing a historic chapel on Plebańska Góra. We descend along a steep slope to Myślenice (6) (7) (8). In the centre of the town, we go right at ul. Słowackiego, then Piłsudskiego. We cross the Zakopane–Kraków road and get onto the bridge over Raba to return to the parking lot.
ATTRACTIONS ON THE ROUTE:
- Zarabie (1) – the recreational district of Myślenice, located on the right bank of the Raba River, at the foot of Uklejna. It offers a riverside bathing place and beach by the Raba River, as well as sport fields, hiking and biking trails, and the biggest attraction – the chairlift to the nearby Chełm Mountain.
Zamczysko nad Rabą Reserve (2) – created in 1962, covering the area of 1.35 ha, located near the ruins of a medieval watchtower. The local oak-hornbeam and a sub-Tatric forest pine patch is under protection. Among the protected plants, ivy is particularly noteworthy.
Ruins of a watchtower in Myślenice (3) – dating from the 13th century, situated on the slopes of Uklejna. This facility served as a watchtower on an intensively frequented trade route. In 1457 it was blown up with a charge of powder.
The church in Pcim (4) – built in 1829 in the so-called Emperor Joseph II style. The most valuable monument of the temple is the 17th century baptismal font and three baroque paintings transferred from St Agnes church in Kraków.
The church in Trzebunia (5) – a stone temple from 1799, hides beautiful Baroque furnishings inside.
Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Myślenice (6) – built in 1465, later rebuilt many times. Inside, it is worth paying attention to the stone portal at the entrance from the presbytery to the sacristy. In the side chapel, a wonderful painting of the Mother of God from Myślenice from the beginning of the 17th century.
Cemetery church in the Stradom district of Myślenice (7) – erected in the 15th century, preserved Gothic buttresses, arches and traceries.
‘Greek House’ in Myślenice (8) – a former 18th century inn. The building has a beautiful mansard roof with dormer windows, and in the basements a rare sail vault on the buttresses. Currently, it houses the Regional Museum with four permanent exhibitions: bourgeois interiors exhibition, as well as ethnographic, World War II and archaeological ones.