Route 43: Through the Biała Valley
Grybów, Stróże (5 km) Polna (7,5 km) Szalowa (10,5 km) Łużna (14,5 km) Pustki (16,5 km) Bobowa (27,5 km) Wilczyska (33,5 km) Grybów (39,6 km)
39,6 km, 4h, difficulty – medium
Altitude profile of the route:
A recreational route, quite easy from the technical point of view, without any difficult climbs. During this tour around the outskirts of the Ciężkowickie Foothills we will visit, among others, the Pustki war cemetery in Łużna and Bobowa with its numerous monuments. From the centre of Grybów, we set off along the green bike trail by Topolowa Street. We leave Grybów and cycle the narrow streets along Biała, between the buildings of Biała Niżna. After 3.5 km, at the intersection (where the red bike trail joins), we turn right over the bridge on Biała and go to the centre of Stróży. We pass the stadium; go left to cross the provincial road No 981 (a neo-Gothic church slightly to the right), and then we turn right diagonally. A little further to the left, there is a road by which we can shorten the route. In Polna we pass a wooden church, in Szalowa – on the outskirts of the village – the ruins of a wooden manor, and in the centre also a historic wooden church. Keeping to the main road, we go to Łużna. Here we leave the loop of our trip to go to the top of Pustki Cisowskie and see the war cemetery. In the centre of Łużna we turn left into the side road, following the signs of access trails. We return to the provincial road, turn right and go to Pogwizdów. We turn left near the shop and follow the yellow bike trail to Bobowa. In this village, having actually a town character due to the charming market square, it is worth visiting: two churches, synagogue and Jewish cemetery, lace museum, and the Łętowski family palace. We leave the market square by Kolegiacka Street, then turn right, and after the bridge on Biała we turn left, following the red bike trail. Go back to the provincial road along the narrow alleys, pass the castle in Jeżów and turn left after the tracks to see the church in Wilczyska. We return to the intersection, go right along the main road and after a while turn left onto the bridge. We cycle through the Chodorówka Valley to Chodorowa, where we turn into a side road and we reach Siołkowa through the hill (392 m a.s.l.). We return to Grybów by a short descent.
ATTRACTIONS ON THE ROUTE:
1. The church in Grybów – neo-Gothic, built in 1909–1914.
2. Synagogue in Grybów – built in 1909. Abandoned after World War II, it was constantly being devastated. In 2007, it was returned to the Jewish Religious Community in Kraków, which undertook renovation of the building.
3. Wooden church in Polna – built in the mid-16th century. Interior covered with interesting polychromy from the 18th century.
4. Wooden manor in Szalowa – erected at the beginning of the 20th century, surrounded by an old park.
5. Wooden church in Szalowa – built in 1739–56. It is a rare example of a wooden church with architecture modelled on brick Baroque churches.
6. Cemetery from World War I in Łużna – located on the Pustki Hill. It is the largest and one of the most beautiful Austrian cemeteries from World War I in Western Galicia.
7. The All Saints church in Bobowa – built in the middle of the 14th century in the Gothic style. Inside, a paintings of the crucifixion by famous artist Jacek Malczewski.
8. St Sophia church in Bobowa – built in the middle of the 15th century, it preserved its original Gothic architecture. The main altar draws attention by the painting of the patron of the church with three daughters.
9. Jewish cemetery in Bobowa – of the 200 matzevot found here, the ohel of tzadik Shlomo Halberstam, the creator of the local Talmudic school, stands out the most.
10. Lace centre in Bobowa – a place with vivid and long traditions of bobbin lace production (Museum of Lace). The annual International Bobbin Lace Festival has been held here since 2000.
11. Wooden church in Wilczyska – built at the beginning of the 16th century. Inside, attention should be paid to the valuable painting "Descent from the Cross" from the mid-17th century.