Route 10: Trip to the "eagle's nest"
Alwernia, Regulice (2 km) Rudno (12,5 km) Zalas (15 km) Brodła (21 km) Poręba Żegoty (25 km) Alwernia (31 km)
31 km, 4 h, difficulty – medium
Altitude profile of the route:
The highest point on the proposed route are the ruins of the "Tenczyn" castle in Rudno – to reach it we have to be prepared for an intensive climb running several kilometres. But it's definitely worth it. We start at the trail node on the market square in Alwernia and we head west (black bike trail). After 200 m we pass the Firefighting Museum on the right and the entrance to the Bernardine Monastery on the left. We go down the serpentine to Regulice, where after the tracks we turn right towards the church. We turn left onto Kościelna Street and return to the main road. The demanding climb is rewarded with nice views. We join the black bike trail from the left and then follow it up to Rudno. We then turn right by the chapel, cross the highway and cycle along a very pleasant section through the Dulowska Forest, and then after a few-kilometre climb we "conquer" the castle in Rudno. After the obligatory visit to the ruins, we follow the trails to reach the parking lot. This is a very steep, demanding section and it will be safer to get off the bike for a moment. On the asphalt road we turn left, after 100 m to the right and follow the yellow bike trail to reach a large asphalt road intersection in Zalas. We take the second road on the right, which after a picturesque section through the forest and a difficult climb shall lead us to Brodła. We turn right and cycle down the narrow asphalt road into the valley. We turn right again and by Gaudynowskie Skałki we go to Poręba Żegoty. At the historic park with the ruins of the Szembek Palace, we turn right. We cross the intersection and, immediately after the historic church, we turn into narrow asphalt road to the left. Following to the red bike trail, we go through the forest first along dirt roads, and then turn onto the asphalt road to the right to reach the Skowronek reservoir. From here, going right by the parking lot, following the blue hiking trail, we return to the market square in Alwernia.
ATTRACTIONS ON THE ROUTE:
1. The Małopolska Region Firefighting Museum in Alwernia is the oldest museum of this type in Poland. It presents a rich collection of exhibits from various regions and historical periods. A significant place is occupied by, among others, collections of medals, decorations, banners, hand water pumps, motor pumps, hatchets, helmets and banners. Exceptionally valuable exhibits are horse wagons from 1910-1913 and fire trucks.
2. Bernardine monastery in Alwernia – a Baroque monastery and church with a characteristic tower is the cultural card of the city. The famous centre of the Ecce Homo Jesus worship. The famous painting is located in the altar of the chapel of Stigmas of St Francis. In addition, sculptures from the 17th century and a pulpit from the second half of the 18th century have great historic value. In front of the church, on the "Paradise Square" there are Stations of the Cross, which are also worth seeing. Information: www.bernardyni-alwernia.pl.
3. Church in Regulice – built in 1887 on the place of the previous wooden church. Inside it is worth seeing the original altar table in the shape of a goblet made of coloured glass.
4. Dulowska Forest – a large and compact forest complex, "green lungs" for the residents of Trzebinia and other nearby towns. This is part of the medieval Forest is stretching between the Przemsza River and Kraków.
5. "Tenczyn" castle in Rudno – built in the first half of the 14th century by the powerful Tęczyński family. Rebuilt several times in the 15th and 17th century. After being burned during the Swedish invasion, it never returned to its former state. In the 18th century, abandoned, it fell into ruin.
6. The palace and park complex in Poręba Żegoty – founded in the second half of the 18th century. The rococo-classicistic palace is currently in a state of partial ruin. The extensive landscape park from the 19th century spreads around.
7. Church in Poręba Żegoty – built in 1762, expanded in 1898. Single-nave temple, tower topped with a spherical helmet. Inside, we can find marble altars from the Wawel Cathedral, transferred here at the turn of the 19th and 20th century.